Saturday, October 4, 2008

William's birthday

Monday, October 6, my grandson William will be 6 years old! When he was visiting me in San Antonio and watching me knit (he calls it "yarning"), he said several times that "he would need a sweater pretty soon to keep him warm when the air turns cold...and not a scratchy one." Within just a few days of him leaving, I found some very soft hand spun cotton yarn and went in search of a pattern. Having never made a sweater before, I had no idea if I could pull this off, but I kept hearing his sweet voice in the back of my head and the pleading look in his eyes, so I ventured on. I finally found a pattern, sucked up all my courage (with the encouragement of my sister practically on a daily basis and a couple of SA friends) and started on the journey of my first knitted sweater.

I decided to use closures rather than buttons because I thought William would like them...and I don't know how to make button holes!!















I really cherish the time I spent working on this as William was always in my thoughts...we have so many memories from the past 6 years, and I treasure digging them out and reliving them in my mind.

Of course I worried he might not like the color, or that it wouldn't fit (who really measures?), and I don't want him to have to wear something he doesn't like. Yesterday he received his birthday package from G'ma Laura and Papa Bill, and even though it was a couple of days early, his daddy let him open one of the presents..Happy 6th Birthday William!!
I miss you and love you oodles and gobs!

2 comments:

Laura Carson said...

Looks like it fits great!
Good job!

Crystal_King said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!! I'm so proud of you! What a beautiful sweater!!! You did an awesome job! I LOVE the clasps, instead of buttons! It looks like it fits him great! I know that it was hard for you being away but what an awesome gift that is for William. I'm sure he's very proud of it! Miss you tons,

Love you both!

Crystal