Monday, April 20, 2009

Tired of cooking the same old foods...

Bill and I have become quite adventurous lately with trying new foods. Eating foods we've never tasted before at a restaurant, where they know what they're doing, is one thing. I decided to give a few things a try on my own. We have wonderful markets here in SA!! I don't have to shop at Wally-world ALL THE TIME!! There are other grocery stores!!

So, the other day I went to Whole Foods and picked up a few yummy ingredients...purple potatoes (yes, they are dark purple all the way through), ruby sweet potatoes (deeper, richer color than regular sweets or yams), heirloom tomatoes, fresh asparagus, halibut, cod, bison and lamb.

Saturday evening after Bill got home from the men's retreat, I served him a dinner of halibut seared then gently cooked in chipolte butter, crispy pan fried purple potato quarters and coleslaw (made from a "real" head of cabbage, none of that bagged stuff for my man!) Mmmmmm yummy!

Tonight, I mixed up some spicy lamb meatballs, a skillet combination of onions, ruby sweet potatoes, purple potatoes and mushrooms, and more coleslaw. Hey, the coleslaw was a big hit Saturday and I needed backup just in case the lamb-balls didn't turn out so well! But whadda ya know...another home run!! It was all very yummy!!

Also, both meals were actually very light. We didn't have that "ugh" feeling after the meal. I was afraid the potatoes might be too much...we almost never eat potatoes because of the carbs. So, tomorrow night we will dine on cod and asparagus. Thursday will be "bison night". I'll come up with some side dishes I'm sure. For now, I just need to sleep on it.

This might be boring to all of you, but I love experimenting with food!!

No comments: